If you’re new to online gambling, you may be interested in playing slots. Compared to table games, online slots are easy to play, bring some excitement to gaming and can have great payouts.
While slots are one of the easiest games to play, it’s still important to understand how the game works and how to win.
How Do Slot Machines Work?
Slots are one of the most popular types of casino games. Part of the appeal is the thrill of being that lucky winner. It’s a game of chance rather than strategy. Anyone can play and win big – if they’re lucky.
Slot machines typically have three or more reels, and each reel contains symbols. Physical slot machines may only have a few dozen symbols, but digital online slots may have hundreds with millions of different combinations.
When a button is pressed or a lever is pulled, the reels spin for a designated amount of time before stopping. The combinations of symbols determine whether or not you’re a winner.
Slots have random number generators that are capable of generating thousands of numbers per second. Whether the player wins or loses will depend on the random number that’s generated when the lever is pulled or the button is pressed.
Plays are completely random, so it’s impossible to predict whether or not you’ll win with each play.
There are many different types of online slot machines, but most will work in the same way.
What are Progressive Slots?
When playing online or in a physical casino, you may come across progressive slots. These slots are unique because a portion of bets are put towards increasing the maximum jackpot. The more bets, the higher the payout.
Each machine starts out with an initial jackpot, so even if you’re the first to play after a jackpot winner, you’ll still have a chance to win big.
Know the Lingo
Some online slots can be more complicated than just pressing (or clicking) a button and hoping for the best. Regardless of which type of slot machine you’re playing, it’s helpful to understand the lingo, so you don’t feel overwhelmed or confused when playing.
Some of the most common terms you’ll find with slot machines are:
- Paylines: These are the lines that connect the winning combinations. When playing online, slots can have a handful of paylines or hundreds. You may see a “line bet” setting, and this refers to the amount you are wagering per payline.
- Paytable: A table that displays all of the possible winning combinations, and how much each one will pay out.
- Bet: Slots usually give you a few different bet size options.
- Bet Max: Allows you to bet the maximum allowable amount with all paylines.
- RTP (Return to Player): Also known as payback percentage. The RTP indicates how much money the game should return to the player over a period of time. Slots with a higher percentage will pay out more.
- Wild Symbols: Similar to wild cards in card games. They can serve as a substitute for symbols to create winning combinations.
- Multipliers: Boost the paytable values for winning combination. A 3x multiplier, for example, will triple your win.
- Scatter symbols: Trigger a bonus and aren’t necessarily connected to a payline reward.
What About Payouts and the Odds?
The odds of winning and potential payouts will depend on a few factors:
- How much you wager
- The paylines you choose
- The type of machine you’re playing
Machines that cost less than a dollar to play may payout smaller prizes often. Machines that cost several dollars to play will have higher odds and jackpots.
Keep in mind that no matter what type of slots you play, the odds will always be in the house’s favour.
How to Play Slot Machines
It’s easier to learn how to play slots than it is to learn how to play card games. Gameplay may not be as exciting as table games and the payouts may not be as impressive, but there’s a reason why people love to play slots: it’s easy.
There’s no learning curve. If you’re playing online, it’s as simple as clicking a button to play. There are no strategies to learn. That makes slot machines really approachable in a casino.
Still, there are a few steps you’ll need to take to play, and a few things that you’ll need to decide when making each play.
- First, learn and understand the paylines before you start playing.
- Once you find a slot to play, you will need to decide how much money you want to spend on each spin. Every game is different. You’ll find both penny games and dollar slots. Make sure that you are only playing with money that you can afford to lose.
- Next, figure out how many lines you want to play. Single-line and multi-line machines are available.
- Check to see what type of bonus the slot offers. Some use wild symbols, while others use scatter symbols. Virtually all slots have some kind of bonus structure that boosts your chances of winning.
- Before you place your bet and spin, make sure that you understand how bonus spins work. Some online slots make it easy to figure this out because they have “free slot” icons and explain how to get them. With other games, it’s a bit trickier to figure out. You may have to land a certain combination of symbols to get free spins that extend your play time, and this information may not be easy to find. It’s helpful to figure this out before you start playing so that you know how to earn free spins.
Once you have gone through all of these steps, the only thing that’s left to do is push the button and play.
How to Win Online Slots
If you want to know how to win on slot machines, you need to choose the best machines and the best slot sites for winning.
One of the best gambling tips for playing slots is choosing a machine that gives you the best odds of winning.
How do you do that?
Pick machines with the highest payouts. Look at the RTP for each machine before making a decision on whether to play. The higher the percentage, the better. This is one of the best online slots tips because it increases your odds of winning.
The biggest issue with slots is that it’s completely random. You cannot use strategies or plays to boost your odds of winning.
Secrets to Winning on Slot Machines
There are no 100 percent winning tips for slots, and you’re not likely to find fruit machine cheat codes that actually work.
The secret to winning at slots is luck – and choosing a machine with a high RTP.
Are Online Slots Rigged?
No. Online casinos have no reason to cheat because they bring in so much money from slot machines simply by offering fair games. Remember, the house already has an edge. There’s no reason to rig the slots.